Sensei Mark Fricker
Mark Fricker started judo at Bracknell Judo Club aged 11 in 1969 under the legendary Don Werner.
After a lifetime in judo Mark began to provide assistance to Don with coaching at the club and in 2011 decided to change careers moving from commercial interior design to form Judo School with the intention bringing the physical and psychological benefits of judo to children in schools. At the end of his life Don Werner his coach and mentor handed responsibility for Pinewood Judo Club (formerly Bracknell Judo Club) to Mark as head coach.
Mark now heads a team of dedicated and capable coaches, who, between them, continue to keep Don’s legacy alive.
Judo Career (so far)!
- 1971 Club Championship U16 Silver
- 1972 All England U16 Open Silver
- National Championship Junior U16 Gold
- 1973 British Schools U16 Open Gold
- All England U16 Open Gold
- British Trials Espoir U75 1st
- GBR v Bel Team (personal win)
- Club Championship U16 Gold
- 1974 Nationals Espoir Middleweight (U75 ) 1st
- At 16 (earliest they would let you back then) gained 1st Dan at Ealing Youth J.C
- European Championship Tel Aviv Espoir Bronze
- 1975 British Trials U75 Espoir 1st
- National Championships U75 Espoir Gold
- All England U18 Open weight Gold
- 1976 British Trials U21 2nd
- Porthcawl Senior Open Middle weight Gold / Open weight Bronze (beating Olympic medallist Arthur Mapp)
- 1977 British Trials U21 Middleweight 1st
- GBR v Bel v West Ger
- GBR v Sweden
- 1978 Scottish Open U21 Middleweight Gold
- Finnish Open International U21 U78 Bronze
- British Trials U21 U78 1st
- Wrinkly Stuff
- 2001 World Masters Team Event Bronze
- 2005 British Masters National Championships Gold
- 2006 European Masters Individual Championships Bronze
- 2006 Wilrik Senior U100 Gold
Started Judo at Pinewood Judo club at the age of 11 years old under Sensei Don Werner, worked my way up to British Squad member through all stages of my judo career from Under 16 up to Master Judo. The pinnacle in my late career was silver at World Masters championships 2002.
• British Judo Association (1968 – Present)
• Pinewood Judo Club (1968 – Present)
• BJA 5th Dan
• UkCC Level 2 (2014)
• World Masters Championship – Silver medal in Open Weight (2002)
• World Masters Championship – Bronze medal in Team Event (2001)
• British Masters Championships – Gold, Silver & Bronze medals (1992-Present)
• British national Championships – Gold, Sliver & Bronze medals (1973 – 1980)
• Coach at Pinewood Judo Club (2014 – Present)
• Management Committee Member (2013 – Present)
• Fundamentals of Judo
• Promoting upright, moving, positive “Go for the Ippon” Judo
• Strength and Conditioning
Geoff started judo at Pinewood either at the end of the nineties or maybe the very early naughties after a conversation with Don Werner about fitness and judo for young adults.
The conversation concluded with Don saying “I’ll get you fit alright and you can start on Wednesday”, then followed much chuckling.
Geoff spent the first six months training with Mark Fricker, mostly kicking his shins.
Geoff is a competitive second dan who has fought in the area, national and international competitions for the last two decades.
His coaching career began with covering occasional classes for Don Werner in the early days before taking on his current role.
Geoff supports the Monday night intermediate class and coaches the Wednesday adult beginners session as well as the Friday open mat sessions.
He also provides competition matside coaching as and when required.